NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
This position is an onboard position. Candidate will live onboard the boat in the assigned crew areas. They will be on an 8-10-week on/2-week off rotation, meaning they will live entirely on the vessel for 8-10 weeks (including weekends), then have 2 weeks off. This position requires a clean background and drug screen. Our company prides itself on customer service, professionalism, and neat appearance. Candidates with previous cruise industry experience and four-star service experience are encouraged to apply.
Under the supervision of the Chief Housekeeper, a porter’s duties are handling passenger luggage, assisting our guests on and off the boat, making deliveries to passenger cabins, the removal of trash from the boat, light to heavy janitorial work and is primarily responsible for maintaining the interior public areas of the American Empress.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – the following are essential functions of the job but are not all-inclusive.
• Present a professional appearance at all times – complying with Company and uniform/ grooming standards at all times.
• Comply with all service standards when in guest areas and at all times with guests directly
• Maintain safe and sanitary conditions at all times. All FDA, Coast Guard and Maritime Security guidelines are to be followed at all times.
• Report any maintenance issues found in assigned areas. This should become routine and second nature when walking through the vessel.
• Assist with bringing luggage on at the beginning of a cruise and off the vessel at the end of the cruise. This is to be done quickly and accurately.
• Keep public areas and restrooms impeccably clean at all times, including cleaning brass, furniture, windows, chandeliers, dusting, and vacuuming
• Set-up and breakdown of various functions including food and beverage functions.
• Assist guests in wheelchairs.
• Trash removal when request for assistance is made
• Stay personally current on cruise events and programs in order to answer any guest questions.
• Assist in removal of room service equipment (dining room trays, dishes, etc.) from guest areas to appropriate locations.
• Assist other crewmembers with their duties whenever directed or whenever necessary to accomplish overall team goals of providing exemplary service for our guests.
• Maintain a level of courtesy and professionalism in conversing with all guests, co-workers and management at all times.
• Required to attend all meetings scheduled by the Chief Housekeeper or senior management.
• Read and follow all memos/directives as issued by company management.
• Perform duties as instructed by your supervisor or company management.
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Hotel or cruise industry experienced preferred
• Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests including but not limited to pre-employment, random, and post-accident testing
• Ability to maneuver tight quarters of the boat including many stairs, crew areas, engine room, and rooms without windows
• Living onboard the boat in close quarters with fellow co-workers for 8-10 weeks at a time
• Outside conditions, extreme heat, cold, rain, and wind
• Marine operation subject to varied wake and motion
• Moderate noise level
• Living and working aboard a vessel in a high energy environment for long periods at a time