Fruit & Flower Child Care Center Job Opening
Position: Kitchen Manager
Fruit and Flower Child Development Center has been making a difference in the lives of children for more than 100 years. Our mission is to provide a developmentally appropriate environment for learning while cultivating a supportive community of families. As a member of the Farm to Preschool Movement we support local and organic growers, and incorporate the “farm to table” concept into our curriculum.
We are seeking a Kitchen Manager who is passionate about creating healthy, delicious whole food meals for 135 children and staff every day. This is an opportunity to create your own diverse menu, order fresh local food, and manage a very busy kitchen.
Job duties include:
• Prepares nutritious, and visually appealing breakfast, lunch and snacks to meet the special dietary needs of infants, toddlers and preschoolers. This includes preparing vegetarian meal options, allergen free foods and family preference as requested.
• Adhere to USDA and CCD requirements for preparing and serving meals
• Maintains equipment and facilities in a sanitary and organized condition that meets health and safety standards
• Responsible for preparing food for additional events such as family night, in-service days and other special events
• Order and maintains necessary inventory of food and supplies
• Maintain awareness of seasonal produce and create menus accordingly
• Responsible for maintaining and developing recipes, ensuring USDA guidelines are met
• Supervise kitchen staff
• Manage the operation of the kitchen within the approved budget
• Work with Leadership Team to ensure seamless coordination and communication
Qualifications and Competencies:
• 3 years of professional kitchen experience required
• High standards for safety and sanitation is a must
• Excellent food preparation skills
• An understanding of children’s nutritional needs and taste preferences
• Sufficient stamina to perform the job including bending, lifting up to 50 pounds and standing for extended periods of time. Ability to accomplish tasks within required time
• Enjoy working in a child care environment
• Ability to manage a budget
• Valid Oregon Food Handlers Card
• Must be enrolled in the Office of Child Care’s Central Background Registry
• Commitment to Professionalism
• High School diploma or equivalency degree, professional culinary training preferred.
Compensation: $14.00 an hour
Monday – Friday 7:00am – 4:00pm
Our Extensive Benefits Package includes: full medical and dental after four month review period
paid time off accrues after 90 days, 401K, long term disability and life insurance professional training and development opportunities