Responsible for oversight of all activities in the kitchen. Prepare, hold and serve foods delivered by Meals on Wheels People central kitchen in accordance with food sanitation standards/menu instructions. Provide appealing nutritious meals that meet high satisfaction levels of clients. Maintain high kitchen standards in sanitation and safety. Train and supervise kitchen and dining room volunteers. Maintain, manage and secure adequate levels of food and non-food items and inventories. Attend all Kitchen Coordinators Meetings.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
• Receive, hold, prepare and serve foods delivered by Meals on Wheels People central kitchen in accordance with health department standards and Food Service Manual
• Provide management and oversight of meal preparation, including scratch cooking, ethnic meal preparation and service for Meals-on-Wheels and Congregate dining following contract requirements ensuring that the meals are nutritious, safe, appealing and meet client satisfaction
• Provide training and management of kitchen volunteers, maintaining a positive, safe, friendly, welcoming environment.
• Manage and maintain adequate levels of food and non-food items, ensuring product is safe, secure and properly stored. Ensure that adequate back-up food/product is available.
• Work closely with Meals on Wheels People Central Kitchen staff to provide input on product quality, menu planning, food service efficiencies and training needs
• Attend Kitchen Coordinators Meetings.
• Support the mission, goals and objectives of that committee of the Meals on Wheels People, Inc.
• Other duties as assigned
Education & Knowledge
• High School Diploma or Equivalent required; Associate Degree or certification in Culinary Arts preferred
• Current Food Handler’s card or ability to obtain one upon hire
• Current ServSafe certification or ability to obtain certification within 18 months of hire
• Demonstrated knowledge of food service standards
Skills, Abilities & Experience
• Bilingual English/Spanish strongly preferred
• Minimum one year experience in food service; volume and scratch ethnic cooking experience preferred
• Ability to work with and manage volunteers
• Ability to perform with minimal supervision
• Proven ability to establish good working relationships with diverse individuals
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Proven recordkeeping and organizational skills
• Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs and 20-30lbs repetitively
• Passion for serving seniors in our community
• Candidate must successfully pass the Meals on Wheels People adopted pre-employment Drug & Alcohol test and criminal background check.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Fast paced kitchen environment, with significant people interaction. Ability to lift a minimum of 50lbs and 20-30lbs repetitively. Frequent reaching, bending, stooping and grasping. Frequent use of knives and cooking utensils, stove, oven and other kitchen equipment. Must pass drug and alcohol test and criminal background check.