Culinary Tour Guide
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
*Immediate opening for a tour leader in the Portland, OR metro area*
Forktown Food Tours is a small, culinary tour company based in Portland, Oregon. We lead small groups (no more than 14 people) on walking tours in Portland neighborhoods exploring the best food and drink the neighborhood has to offer. We visit restaurants, bakeries, artisan food stores, delicatessens, distilleries, food carts and so many more places that make Portland a unique culinary destination. Our tours are delicious and offer much more than tiny samples. In addition to ample tastes & sips at all of our stops, we love to sprinkle in information about Portland’s art, culture and history.
Visit our website at www.forktown.com for more information about our company.
Tour Guide Responsibilities:
Lead guests on a 3-hour culinary walking tour, with commentary at each stop and at appropriate relevant & interesting sites en route. Guide must be available to tour prep before hand (no less than 1.5 hours prior to the tour start time) and file a short report at the conclusion of each tour. Guide must be able to deal with logistical issues that might arise on tour and problem-solve while maintaining enthusiasm and care for the guests. We offer very competitive pay rates and we do our best to encourage our guests to provide a gratuity to thank our guides for a job well done (please note, tips are NOT guaranteed)
• Guide must be based in Portland, Oregon metro area.
• Guides should have previous tour guiding experience and/or be an International Tour Management Institute graduate. Possible exceptions may be someone already working in the Portland food scene in some way (i.e. a farmer’s market Chef in the Market demonstrator).
• Guide must be knowledgeable and passionate about food, wine, and spirits in general and be familiar with Portland’s food & drink scene.
• Guide will be provided with a small study guide and a training tour, but it is ultimately the guide’s responsibility to research and understand Portland’s culinary scene as well as its art, history and culture.
• Guide must be enthusiastic, friendly, knowledgeable and FUN! We love what we do and we want to work with someone who has a sense of humor, enjoys taking care of people and LOVES to eat and drink as much as we do!
This job is primarily for Saturdays and Sundays in July, August, and September with the possibility of sporadic tours on Wednesdays-Fridays. Please do not apply if you do not have most every weekend for the rest of summer available. Training begins immediately. Our pay is extremely competitive.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter for why you’d be a perfect Culinary Tour Guide!
*Please do NOT apply for this job if you are just looking for “something to do and this sounded fun” or if you have no previous guiding experience, not a graduate of ITMI and do not have any insider experience in the food/beverage industry