Hi all. If you like being a barista and are good at it, Blue Collar Baking Company is interested in you and your skills. We’re a locally owned, one shop operation in downtown Portland.
The job description is below. Although, somewhat dry and formal, it’s accurate. Read it over and if it sparks your interest, please forward a resume. We’re interested in part-time candidates.
Baristas/Bakery Clerks working at Blue Collar Baking Company will be responsible for making/serving coffee, espresso drinks and tea in a fast paced environment. Speed, efficiency and accuracy are essential. In addition, baristas/bakery clerks will assist in the packaging, pricing, merchandising and selling of baked goods. Additionally, they will prepare hot Panini sandwiches, ready-made soups, and other light bistro fare. They will inform customers about products, ingredients and catering services. They will maintain hygiene standards and overall cleanliness of work areas, including dishwashing, sweeping/mopping, and nightly cleanup. Baristas must have basic math skills and be accurate at handling a cash register, including the memorization of product identification codes. They will interact with fellow staff and customers in a courteous and respectful manner.
Ideal employees will:
• be confident in their abilities
• be quick thinking/nimble minded/able to multi-task and pitch in
• be respectful of a diverse environment/clientele
• understand the importance of follow-through
• accept and follow instructions well
• be able to handle a fast-paced environment
• be punctual and have reliable transportation options
• possess a sense of humor
• have good manners
• exhibit strong common sense skills (this is really important)
• Must have recent barista experience. Have ability to pull shots, steam milk and have knowledge of espresso drinks.
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• High school education preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Must be able to lift 25 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds
• Must have or be able to quickly obtain a Food Handlers Card
• Veterans, people who have worked in a family food business, and people who have worked in high volume food establishments are encouraged to apply
Must like keeping work areas clean and tidy
Available shifts include part time hours. We’re open M-F from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and on Sat. from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Opening shifts typically begin 30 minutes before opening, and closing shifts end about an hour after closing. Hourly wage plus tips.