BAR SERVERS AND WAITERS
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
This position is an onboard position. Candidate will live onboard the boat in the assigned crew areas. They will be on an 8-10-week on/2-week off rotation, meaning they will live entirely on the vessel for 8-10 weeks (including weekends), then have 2 weeks off. This position requires a clean background and drug screen. Our company prides itself on customer service, professionalism, and neat appearance. Candidates with previous cruise industry experience and four-star service experience are encouraged to apply.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – the following are essential functions of the job but are not all-inclusive.
• Serves meals to patrons according to established rules of etiquette, working in formal setting – presents menu to diner, suggests dinner courses, appropriate wines, and answers questions regarding food preparation.
• Relays orders to kitchen and serves courses from kitchen and service bars.
• Garnishes and decorates dishes preparatory to serving.
• Observes diners to respond to any additional requests and to determine when meal has been completed.
• Totals bill and accepts payment or refers patron to Cashier.
• May carve meats, bone fish and fowl, and prepare flaming dishes and desserts at patron’s table.
• Presents a professional appearance at all times: complying with Great American Steamboat Company and uniform and grooming standards.
• To comply with all service standards when in passenger areas and at all times when dealing with passengers directly.
• Maintain safe and sanitary conditions at all times. All FDA, Coast Guard and Maritime Security guidelines are to be followed at all times.
• Reports any maintenance issues found in assigned areas. This should become routine and awareness second nature when walking through the vessel.
• To stay personally current on cruise events and programs in order to answer any passenger questions.
• Maintain a level of courtesy and professionalism in conversing with all passengers, co-workers and management at all times.
• Required to attend all meetings scheduled by management.
• To read and follow all memos/directives as issued by company management.
• Perform duties as instructed by your supervisor or company management.
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Be well-organized and able to work well under pressure
• Hotel and/or Cruise industry experience preferred
• Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests including but not limited to pre-employment, random, and post-accident testing
• Ability to maneuver tight quarters of the boat including many stairs, crew areas, engine room, and rooms without windows
• Living onboard the boat in close quarters with fellow co-workers for 8-10 weeks at a time
• Outside conditions, extreme heat, cold, rain, and wind
• Marine operation subject to varied wake and motion
• Living and working aboard a vessel in a high energy environment for long periods at a time
• Moderate noise level