Assistant Deli Team Leader
PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES ::
1. Maintains department in a clean, attractive manner. Accountable for design and maintenance of attractive displays and stock rotation on assigned shifts.
2. Develops and maintains ordering, costing, and food production systems for all locations. Develops and supervises bakery, grab ‘n go, wholesale and catering programs as directed by the Deli Manager.
3. Accountable for cleaning, stocking, storing supplies and other deli operations on assigned shifts. Orders product as necessary and in accordance with Deli Dept guidelines. Performs clerk and lead functions.
4. Assists in the day-to-day coordination of Deli staff to ensure deli standards of customer service and operations are consistently met.
5. Provides input to department manager regarding Deli employee selection, scheduling, motivation, discipline, and performance evaluation. Trains and assists in coaching service and production staff. Ensures that staff are aware or and adhere to department policies and expectations.
6. Assists in the implementation of long and short term goals outlined by the Deli Manager.
7. Handles difficult customer concerns/problems/complaints as necessary to allow cashiers to continue work uninterrupted.
8. Keeps abreast of changes in industry standards and requirements. Adheres to all required store and health department standards. This may include adopting standards above those legally required if they are in alignment with the ends of the co-op.
9. Responsible to ensure that the department provides informed, professional, and outstanding customer service to all members/customers while balancing labor costs to meet store needs.
DEMANDS/COMPLEXITY :: This position involves a moderate degree of complexity. Work situations are recurring with occasional variations from the norm and incumbent receives moderate supervision. Decisions are made within prescribed operating guidelines. Operates from established and well known procedures. Position assists in developing long range strategic and operational goals.
Work is verified by the Department Manager. Errors may effect store customer satisfaction and sales as a result of poor stocking and/or slow service. Health department infractions may be detrimental to deli operations.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY :: Job is supervisory to the extent that the incumbent provides daily work direction, and prepares performance appraisals. Usually also makes recommendations regarding hiring, discipline, terminations, pay changes, and job changes.
CONTACTS WITH OTHERS :: Contacts are generally made on incumbent’s initiative and are both inside and outside the store. They may involve confidential or sensitive matters.
SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS:
Mental ~ Strong decision making, interpersonal and organizational skills are required. Incumbent must utilize multi tasking, teamwork, creativity, customer service, discretion, mentoring, problem analysis, and training/supervising skills on a frequent to continual basis. Occasional negotiating, selling, and teaching or training is also required. Incumbent must read, speak, write, and understand English. H/she must be able to perform basic math to do proper cash handling. Requires frequent independent judgment and/or independent action.
Physical ~ Frequent physical activities are standing, walking, fingering, talking, reaching, repetitive wrist motion, bending, grasping, hearing, and handling. Incumbent also cuts, washes, stacks, wraps, and serves items frequently. Requires maneuvering in tight areas. Occasional activities are sitting, stooping, and climbing. There is frequent lifting, and carrying involved in the position. Incumbent must be able to lift up to 50 pounds consistently and safely. May work over 40 hours per week.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE :: No formal education is required, but position requires knowledge of Deli and food safety standards and norms to successfully perform job functions. Generally requires a total of 1 to 3 years of related experience in a retail or food service environment with at least 1 year in a lead or supervisory role. Requires Food Handler’s Certification.
JOB CONDITIONS :: The position could involve overtime, on-call status, heavy lifting, constant standing, work in refrigerated areas, and maneuvering in tight spaces. In addition, incumbent will be expected to work weekends and holidays.
Important Disclaimer Notice
The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that any employee may be required to perform. The employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business, competitive considerations, or the work environment change.